There are different ways that rescuers need to do during the search and rescue operations. In doing the correct procedure, the rescuers will also be able to save the victims as well as themselves during the search and rescue operations.
Rescuers should become aware of the different risks in the water before performing the search and rescue. Most of the search and rescue operations are usually done when there is a ship wreck and there are multiple people who need to also be rescued.
These rescuers should do these steps to find and rescue the victims of the shipwreck:
- They should become ready for the rescue by taking swimming lessons, having a boating plan with a family member, safety items should also be stored on the boat, and they are wearing personal floating devices.
- The rescuer is then placed in the water.
- There are times that there is an automatic marker that is sometimes used when the rescuer enters the water.
- There are also some times that an automatic alarm goes off when the rescuer enters the water.
- The rescuer should become aware of his or her environment in the water to notice the person missing, different sights, different sounds, and others.
- The rescuer should also have a proper communication device with the other rescuers such as a signal to alert them that the missing person might also be in the area.
- Once the missing person or persons are found, one rescuer should keep his or her eye on the water on the area.
- A floatation device such as a life saver or a buoy can also be thrown to the person.
- The rescue craft or boat will then approach the person that needs rescue.
- There is also some times where a swimmer will approach the person if the boat is unable to reach the person.
- Immediate emergency treatment such as first aid or CPR is often performed if it is necessary.
- The rescuer should become aware of the chances of hypothermia when the person is already taken out of the water or the air is cold.
- The person is then transported to a medical facility if needed.
- Treatments to the person are then handled by the physician after the person was already rescued.
- After the rescue, the incident needs to also be reported to the proper authorities.